Thursday, April 11, 2013

$0.25 per cup.

Has anyone ever noticed that there is no cent symbol on the keyboard?  That just goes to show you that the creators of the QWERTY keyboard were physics. They knew that buying things for mere cents would not last for long.  But today's blog isn't about physics if that were the case I would have no blog to create nor would you have the need to read it.  On the contrary today I am pressed to express my school of choice plan for 2013-2014 school year.  Besides while I like to write it is much more fun to know that I have an audience.

As you may or may no know I am a planner. Now that doesn't mean that I have a daily schedule that I follow to the tee, I think that the heavens would burst out laughing if I try to claim that.  I am more of a future planner.  I like to know what is going to happen in the near and distant future and how it is going to effect my idea of normalcy.  For that reason I have been focusing this past week on what we are going to do for the boys schooling next year.  I had been doing a fair bit of research into the local schools even before we knew that we were headed to Texas, and in the past month that research has expanded.  At this point after all  my accumulation of primary educational knowledge I have a whole basket full of lemons.  Each lemon has it's own distinct flavor, some bitter, some sweet, some overly sour.  But none are perfect on their own.
 

LEMON 1: The flavor of this lemon is bitter.  Now weather or not the nature of the fruit or simple my experiences with it may be better left undetermined.  In any case this lemon represents - as if you haven't guessed - PUBLIC SCHOOL.  When we moved into the new house I felt certain that we were in the (for lack of better terms) 5 star rated public school district.  Come to find out that is just not the case.  The district line literally runs just outside our fence line.  Meaning that we are in the 3 star rated public school district, and if you have spent any time staying in hotels you know that there is a big difference between the two.  3 stars might give you a pool and continental breakfast just like the 5 star but that pool is probably outside and no bigger than the neighbors back yard blue giant and just about as clean.  The breakfast bar might be free but that generally consist of day old fruit and pastries and if your lucky handmade waffles (fresh to you made by ...you) but no eggs and hash browns to go with them. All things said and done we could potentially push our way into the 5 star school but after talking with parents of these schools there is no guarantee that it would be any better.  Still tired under paid teachers forced to trail along at the learning pace of the slowest learner in the group leaving no time or patience to deal with board fast paced thinkers.  Even though bitterness is the lest enjoyed flavor I can't imagine the perfect glass of lemonade without it.

LEMON 2: Sweet though it is HOME SCHOOLING has it's draw backs as well.  Yes we can move at their own pace, yes we have tons of freedom in projects and learning time, however, it does little in the way of preparing children to deal with the real world.  Even after a very positive year my views have changed very little.  I still feel that learning from someone who is not you parent in an environment full of peers and distractions offers its own lessons.  Combine with that the opportunity to participate in organized extra curricular activities, in truth you do miss out on a lot that makes being a kid fun.

LEMON 3: This small lemon seems sweet at first but it leaves no refreshing after taste.  That truly is the best way to describe the PRIVATE SCHOOL option.  Yes I would love my children to grow up in an environment that praises GOD every morning and attributes creation of all things to HIM but at what cost?  Based upon all my research of their curriculum for both a home school and private school option there seems to be a large gap in their science curriculum.  Not just the evolution verses creation piece but on a whole most of their science programs seem rather lacking.  This unfortunately is a subject that I don't feel that I can sacrifice with Micah.  He Loves science, that was with a capital L people.  Even when we are just learning about what things we use to measure with he is fully committed and tuned in.  It was a strong reason that I went with the K12 home school program and to go to a religious program would mean Micah is a full grade above the others in his class.  While that sacrifice would be hard to except the exorbitant price makes this lemon completely un-stomach-able.

Which brings us to
LEMON 4:  Harmony Science Academy.  At first this school seemed to be the perfect fit.  Excellent State test scores, excellent parent reviews, a very comprehensive extracurricular offering, no cost, and a strong focus in science and math.  Then it hits you it is a charter school which means limited spacing, and then this once tasty lemon has become very sour.  this school has everything going for it and after a tour and open house we were ready to sign the kids up.  Having limited spacing meant that there was a lotto drawing of all the new names that had signed up for the following school year.  Jaydon was a breeze - yes Jaydon is in school next year- Micah was not so lucky.  He is 59 on the waiting list of which they have only excepted 10 so far.  There is a slim chance that Micah could get in but I won't be taking it to the bank just enough to keep Jaydon enrolled and hope for the best.

LEMON 5: Yeah I know what you are thinking... but school choice has evolved a lot in the past few years there is now online education for K-12.  We call these virtual academy's.  In short they provide you with all the convenience and hands on parent interaction as home school while also providing a class room atmosphere in an online setting.  This allows children to be taught by a non parental teacher while allowing the parent as much involvement and they desire.  The "public school" concept is also carried out in field trips and educational get together with local children within the same school.  It is a state recognized charter school which means there is no cost to the parent aside from the internet connection that it takes to receive the lessons.  This option had it's own issues  however.  Texas Virtual Academy will only except those children going into 3rd grade, sorry Jaydon.  While Micah meets that requirement he would have had to attend a Texas school prior to entry, sorry Micah.  They do have a Colorado Virtual Academy which will both except Kindergarten and not force Micah to participate in a public school before entry but while I might be able to arrange a mailing address local events would be pointless.

Those are my options people yeah nothings perfect, but then again neither are lemons all by themselves.

While driving to Harmony Science Academy to pick up Jaydon's entry packet I got to thinking...
"Is it worth it?" That was the question that I ask a parent of students that attended Harmony Science Academy.  "Is it worth sending my one child to HSA and continuing home school education with the other?" After a moments thought she replied yes with her knowledge of the public schools in the area it was a decision that she would be willing to make.  I think that was all that I needed to know.  I might have a basket full of lemons but I have a really good recipe for lemonade.






1 year Jaydon in Harmony Science Academy
1 month or so Micah in Colorado Virtual Academy
1 transfer Micah to Texas Virtual Academy
2-3 days/ week church and religous teachings both Jaydon and Micah
1 acceptance into New Life Christian Academy extracurricular program (optional)
sprinkle in lots of love, support and concern
stir well
Prayer and hope for the following year.




There you have it our tentative recipe for 2013-2014 school year lemonade.  It is amazing the answers that you hear when you tune into what GOD is saying to you.



        

 -

No comments:

Post a Comment